Month of hard work in silence

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update on our project.
I was very busy with day job and helping my wife with kids.

What has changed since I wrote the previous post?

First of all, I’ve used a free account on Product Hunt Ship to make a landing page.

Here it is: http://withmetrics.com

About Product Hunt Ship: it is a good product for the initial start when you have no time to write a copy.
In my opinion a bit expensive in a paid version, but I haven’t explored it yet.

During the last month, we had a lot of work to do with WithMetrics.

Currently, the app is running in closed beta for several e-commerce sites.

It was running an old version of the app, with MVPish interface, old functionality, old performance and so on. But it was working for a long time and did a great job for those who happened to be on our shortlist of beta-testers, bringing the value.

I have decided to develop a new version based on an existing codebase.

Old codebase was pure Django project with server rendered templates, with celery, Django REST Framework and couple less known libraries.

First thing I have changed was a custom user model. We wanted to get rid of usernames and make customers use their email instead.

I have replaced the user model and moved on with building the interface and improving internals of the project.

After some time and we have noticed that our new codebase outperforms our old one, that was running in production. Plus we have implemented some new features that wanted to get tested on real data.

Here our problems began.

The root of all problems was that changing the user model in Django on an existing project is super complicated and has no single solution and requires a lot of manual work.

What I have done: I have created another branch, based on production code, changed user model, recreated all users with the same IDs and used dumpdata/loaddata built-in Django commands to import apps data from production.

Then manually applied changes and recreated migrations.

I was lucky not to have any Content Types linking to User model because this causes more work to update relations.

The nerd part is over.

Some ideas from the product part.

We’ve done some research and figured out that the most valuable step for the worldwide market would be Shopify Integration. From what I have seen Shopify stores are about 80% of customers of other e-commerce related services.

So Shopify integration will be our priority when preparing the English version of our product.

With lack of time, this is it for today’s update.

I want you, readers, to subscribe on our landing page to receive updates and get notified when we are ready to launch.

To do this:
– Go to http://withmetrics.com
– put your email and click subscribe.
– optionally you will receive a confirmation email where you have to click a link to confirm your subscription.

I promise more interesting stuff and hope to post it more often!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.